So it’s official – the winner of this year’s Biggest Loser ITV television show was the North East’s very own Kevin Mclernon. Now if like me you were tuned in on Tuesday evening watching the final and cheering on both Kevin and his niece Amy Mac – also from the north east you can’t help but feel inspired by the truly amazing results those guys achieved. The thing is, you don’t need to be a contestant on a TV show to achieve a result like that, it’s pretty simple really – you just have to want the result then take action and go out and get it!!
So before you all go grabbing your sports bag and rushing off to hit the gym – after all you tried that last year and it didn’t work then did it? Take a few minutes out to check out my 5 steps to getting that better body back again!
(1) Set yourself a goal – Before you start out on any diet and exercise plan this year you MUST set yourself a goal! Failure to do this is one of the biggest reasons people fail to get the results they desire, and I don’t mean something wishy washy like “I want to lose some weight” or “I want to fit in to my skinny jeans again”. You must be REALLY specific in what you want to achieve, and put a date on that goal too, I mean it’s hard to stay focused on a ‘someday’ goal isn’t it?
Ok so here’s an example “By the [insert date here] I want to be a clothes size smaller, 7lbs lighter and look awesome in my skinny jeans so I don’t feel frumpy and uncomfortable ” now that sounds pretty good and motivational yeah?
OK, so now you know exactly what you’re trying to accomplish and by when, now comes step2 – Be Accountable
(2) Be Accountable – You’ve set your goal but you’re going to need some help and support toget there right? I mean everything’s easier with help and support. Now I know you don’t have thousands of TV views and Davina McCall to be accountable to but that doesn’t matter. Here’s what I want you to do! Take measurements, photos and share your goal with your trainer, group fitness instructor, bootcamp instructor or friend. In fact anyone who’s going to help, support and encourage you to reach that goal. While I’m on the subject of accountability, surround yourself with likeminded people too. If you surround yourself with people that constantly try and bring you down chances are they will and you’ll fail in your goal. This is where fitness bootcamps are pretty awesome; I mean you’re surrounded by likeminded people all with similar goals and the determination to achieve them; it’s this camaraderie and accountability that will make your journey to that better body a much easier one.
(3) Detoxify – Ok, we’re now going to give your body what it needs most, water!! Water is the ultimate detoxifier it’s needed for every bodily function, it’s also essential to help your body flush out toxins as they’re released from your body’s fat stores – basically your body will refuse to drop body fat if it’s dehydrated.
So how much should you consume? Well general rule of thumb is to shoot for drinking 1 litre of bottled water per day for every 50lbs of body weight. So if you weigh 10 stone (140lbs) you should be looking to consume around 3 litres of bottled water a day.
(4) Clean up your diet – The most important element of any weight loss plan is the nutrition, get this right and you’re going to be well on the way to that better body. You see, whatever you see in the mirror is a direct correlation to what you put in your mouth!
Ok, firstly you’re going to cut out, Wheat (including bread and pasta), Dairy (including milk & cheese), processed foods (including ready meal and anything with an e number) Breakfast cereals, Alcohol and sugar too!
Next you’re going to replace them with unlimited amounts of fresh fruit and veg (preferably green), meat and fish. No calorie counting, no red and green days, no ‘points’ and no expensive ‘healthy meals’ or low fat products to buy. Just eat as much as you want as long as it’s “clean”. Trust me here – do this for 30 days and you’ll be amazed at the results!!
(5) Get some exercise! – You’re probably surprised that I’ve left this one till last, but to be honest unless you nail the first 4 steps the likely hood your chosen exercise plan will deliver the results you desire is pretty slim. After all that’s why you failed last time right?
Ok, so you’ve got a few choices here, get a personal trainer, sign up for a course at a fitness bootcamp (my recommended choice for reasons mentioned earlier), attend fitness classes or join a gym. Whichever exercise option you choose make sure you commit to it 3 or 4 times a week and that better body will be with you in no time!!
Well that’s it, get off your butt, take action and follow these 5 simple steps and you’ll be well on your way to that better body!