The International Development Society (IDS) from Newcastle University runs an annual Conference in which many crucial and current global issues are discussed and debated. This year the conference is titled ‘Challenging Perceptions of Security’, and will take place on Saturday the 15th February.
Global security is more than just war and conflict; we look to explore how all aspects of security are continually impacting development on a local and international front. Security can mean access to the basic necessities for life, such as water and food. It can mean a sustainable future for people and populations, entailing work, education and freedom from disease.
Furthermore, security can even be the freedom to live an autonomous life, devoid of oppression, social injustice and inequality. In a time of such global awareness and upheaval, we seek to challenge our existing preconceptions and redefine what security means to us all.
Over the course of a day (9am – 9pm) we hope to provide a platform for speakers from a range of disciplines to challenge convention and stimulate discussion.
To complement the talks there will be an art competition, free food and beverages, and all finishing with a wine reception and live music.
- Senior representative, Arup
- Dr. Sarah Coulthard, Senior Lecturer in International Development, Northumbria University
- Vincent Casey, Technical Support Manager, WaterAid
- Helen Wass O’ Donnell, Development Director, International Voluntary Service
- Dr. Kyle Grayson, Senior Lecturer in International Politics, Newcastle University
- Professor James Tooley, Director/Professor, EG West Centre/ Educational Policy Newcastle University
- Stephen Crossley, PhD social justice in the UK, Durham University
- Senior representative, Christian Aid
Society Member £5 / Student £7 / Standard £10
- Access to all talks
- Unlimited tea & coffee
- Goodie bag
- Wine reception with live music
Tickets are available from the Student Union reception and can be purchase online at http://www.idcnewcastle.com/2014-conference-tickets.html OR eventbrite
Please check the website for any further information on the conference and a link to buy tickets.