BUILDING EXCELLENCE AWARDS 2013
@ Stadium of light 8th February
THE EIGHTH ANNUAL Building Excellence Awards will be held at the Stadium of Light (8 Feb).
The awards are organised by Sunderland City Council to recognise and encourage outstanding and innovative standards of construction and design.
The awards go to the most innovative construction projects completed by individuals and organisations within the city over the past twelve months in a number of different categories.
The Building Excellence Awards will be presented by Sunderland City Council Cabinet Secretary, Councillor Mel Speding, during a presentation ceremony held in the James Herriot Suite 11.30am – 2pm.
Sunderland City Council’s Deputy Chief Executive Janet Johnson, Head of Planning and Property Colin Clark and Development Manager Ken Scott, are hosting the event with representatives of major architectural and construction companies amongst the guests.
This year’s winners are:
- Best Housing Development – Richard and Alan Marsden for 17 Birchfield Road, Sunderland.
- Best Social Housing Development – Gentoo Homes and Gentoo Construction for Centrepoint, Dundas Street, Sunderland.
- Best Educational Building – Sunderland City Council Design Services and Robertson Construction for North View School, Sunderland.
- Best Small Builder – John Downing Builders Ltd.
- Best Domestic Extension – Nigel Chandler and Carter Building and Construction Ltd for 13 Durham Road, Sunderland.
- Best Community Building – Gentoo Homes and Gentoo Construction for Grace House Hospice, Sunderland.
- Best Partnership Award – Partner Construction.
Winners of this annual event are also eligible for entry into the Local Authority Building Control Northern Region Building Excellence Awards, which this year will be held at Hilton Gateshead-Newcastle on 14 June 2013.
Sunderland City Council Cabinet Secretary, Councillor Mel Speding said: “We have always been keen to promote building excellence and innovation within our city, and these awards are recognition of all those who demonstrate both commitment and imagination to achieve the highest possible standards.
“All of the winners in each of the award categories provide great examples of the high quality of work being carried out in Sunderland and across the region, and what is being achieved as a result of the strong partnership that we have helped create and develop between architects, contractors, developers and the City Council.
“The annual Building Excellence awards help to showcase the innovation and excellence we have within our construction industry here in Sunderland.
” All of the award winners at this year’s presentation go forward to the Local Authority Building Excellence regional awards ceremony to be held in June 2013 with winners of any categories there put forward for the national awards to be held later this year in London.”
Friday 8 February, 12.40pm. James Heriot Suite, Stadium of Light. The Cabinet Secretary for Sunderland City Council, Councillor Mel Speding will present the Building Excellence Awards 2013.