BBC Radio 6 Music have announced that the 6 Music Festival 2015 will take place on Tyneside on Friday 20, Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 February with an incredible line-up of artists.
Artists performing include: Sleater-Kinney, Mogwai, The War on Drugs, Interpol, The Fall, Hot Chip, Royal Blood, Kate Tempest, The Charlatans, Gaz Coombes, British Sea Power, Jon Hopkins, Maximo Park, Neneh Cherry, Young Fathers, Jungle, Jamie T, Gruff Rhys and many more set to perform by night at the three day event.
In a special live broadcast from Newcastle University’s Student Union, Lauren Laverne announced yesterday that the 6 Music Festival 2015 will take place on Tyneside, with gigs each night on Friday 20 February at The 02 Academy Newcastle (Friday) and at The Sage, Gateshead on Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 February.
6 Music presenters in their shows throughout today have revealed the full line-up of acts set to perform at The 02 Academy Newcastle and The Sage, Gateshead. With over 40 artists and DJs across six stages over three nights, the BBC Radio 6 Music Festival is bringing together an impressive line-up of established acts and emerging artists who represent the very best alternative music of the moment. Keep across all the latest updates at #6MusicFestival.
Additionally, there will be a 6 Music Festival by Day (which will be ticketed separately to the night-time events) in venues in The Ouseburn and Stephenson Quarter areas of the city, on Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 February, 11am-6pm. The full line up of the 6 Music Festival by Day will be announced on 6 Music on Tuesday 3 February.
Lauren Laverne said: “I’m so excited that this year’s 6 Music Festival is taking us back to my home in the North East. It’s going to be an incredible weekend of music, not to be missed. The Festival is a celebration of the music and culture we and our listeners love so much.”
Paul Rodgers, Head of Programmes for 6 Music said: “Building on the success of last year’s inaugural 6 Music Festival in Salford, we are proud to announce its return in 2015 on Tyneside. The festival brings together the most exciting alternative music of the moment, as well as championing emerging and established artists who represent the range of diverse music played on the station every day.”
Peter Salmon, Director, BBC England, says: Peter Salmon, Director, BBC England, says: “The 6 Music Festival is the latest event in a strong programme of BBC activity which has seen Children’s, Sport, Drama and Radio 3 shows being made or broadcast in the North East over the last year alongside terrific local output. In February, Radio 4’s new series of Homefront is set in Newcastle, while in the spring, Inspector George Gently, shot in Durham, broadcasts on BBC One. BBC Two comedy Boy Meets Girl starts filming in the region this week, so all this plus our many hit north east kids’ dramas are showing what a vibrant and inspiring region it is for creative people.”
BBC 6 Music Festival 2015 Line up
Bands performing at The 02 Academy Newcastle on Friday 20 February from 5pm are:
- Mogwai: who celebrate their 20th anniversary this year
- Sleater-Kinney: This will be their first UK performance in almost ten years
- The War On Drugs: BRIT 2015 nominees, whose 2014 album, Lost In The Dream, was 6 Music’s Album Of The Year
Artists and bands performing at The Sage Gateshead across four stages on Saturday 21 February from 6pm are:
- Hot Chip: performing exclusive brand new material for the first time
- Royal Blood: Mercury Prize 2014 and BRIT 2015 nominees
- The Fall
- Jungle: Mercury Prize 2014 nominees.
- Maximo Park: Local heroes
- Kate Tempest: Mercury Prize 2014 nominee
- Gruff Rhys
- Simian Mobile Disco
- Django Django: performing exclusive new material
- Father John Misty
- Ghostpoet: performing brand new material
- The Cribs: performing brand new material
- Villagers: performing exclusive brand new material for the first time
- Ibibio Sound Machine
- Kate Tempest and Eliza Carthy: performing together in an exclusive 6 Music collaboration
- Plus, a Northern Soul Night (from 5-10.30pm), hosted by 6 Music’s Funk and Soul show presenter Craig Charles, with Richard Searling and Stuart Maconie plus further DJs to be announced soon.
Artists and bands performing at The Sage Gateshead across four stages on Sunday 22 February from 6pm are:
- The Charlatans: performing exclusive brand new material
- Jamie T
- Neneh Cherry
- Jon Hopkins
- British Sea Power
- Gaz Coombes
- Young Fathers: Mercury 2014 winners
- The Maccabees: performing exclusive new material
- Glass Animals
- Lonelady: performing brand new material
- King Creosote
- Public Service Broadcasting: performing brand new material
- Unknown Mortal Orchestra: performing brand new material
- Plus, DJ sets (from 5-10.30pm), hosted by 6 Music presenter Nemone, with Richy Ahmed, Daniel Avery, 6 Mix residents Rob da Bank and DJ Yoda, and others to be announced soon.